Youth Volunteer Opportunities
You have the power to transform lives while gaining life-long skills, making new friends and having fun in your local community! You are the future! Your dedication to our vision, a time when everyone has a decent place to live, will make a difference in your community.
Benefits of volunteering with Raritan Valley Habitat for Humanity include the ability to:
- Meet and work with a diverse group of people, including other volunteers and future Habitat homeowners
- Become involved in the strengthening of your own neighborhoods and communities
- Participate in meaningful work resulting in a sense of accomplishment
- Build leadership skills and foster teamwork among your peers
- Gain a better understanding of the need for affordable homes
- Learn valuable life skills as you engage in community service opportunities
- Make a difference!
Collect Household Items for a Partner Family
Partner families have given our Family Services Team lists of items that would help them once they move into their new home. The lists range from kitchen items to cleaning items to tools to maintain their gardens and yards. If you’re interested in collecting items, please email Iris Alston at email@example.com.
Share Some Treats and Words of Kindness
Our Wednesday/Thursday Crew are a dedicated group and they come out and work on the homes every week. They share their time and talents with us by completing work that is more specialized so corporate and volunteer teams can come out and have a safe, rewarding experience on site. Give back by putting together bags of treats with a note for each volunteer about the work they’re doing to help the community. If you’re interested, please email Rebecca Maier to coordinate the details and which date you’d like to come out on site.
Volunteer at Our Habitat for Humanity ReStore
Help out at our Habitat ReStore located at the Marketplace at Manville. You can participate in a variety of ways including setting up displays, helping and greeting customers and more! You’ll get retail experience and help the store that builds homes. To volunteer at the ReStore please complete the form on the ReStore page.
Habitat for Humanity Clubs
Several high schools in the area, including Bridgewater-Raritan, Hillsborough, Immaculata, Montgomery, Somerville, North Hunterdon, Voorhees and Watchung Hills Regional, have Habitat for Humanity Clubs that you can join. These Habitat Clubs host local fundraisers, share the mission of Habitat with others and are invited to participate in a variety of ways with the local affiliate, Raritan Valley Habitat for Humanity.
Students who participate in these Clubs are welcome to be a part of the Habitat Youth Council. These students from local high schools meet once a month at the Microsoft Store at Bridgewater Commons to discuss large-scale fundraisers and events that engage the community as well as the students at their schools. Our projects include site tours and our annual Habitat Youth Rainbow Run 5K.
Join or Start a Habitat for Humanity Club at Your School
To establish a club:
- Give us a call and let us know you’re interested in starting a club at your school (908) 704-0016 ext. 18
- Speak with your school’s Principal or Vice Principal
- Find a faculty advisor
- Elect a president, vice president, secretary and treasurer
Habitat Clubs typically:
- Schedule monthly meetings for students
- Plan and coordinate local fundraising and awareness events such as gingerbread building competitions, movie nights and bake sales at their high schools
- Volunteer on construction sites (ages 16 and older) or in the ReStore (ages 13 and older)
- Advocate for affordable housing
- Gain valuable skills and experience
If you’d like to come to our office in Somerville for volunteer hours, we have opportunities to help with creative art projects, photography at events, marketing materials and social media. Please contact Rebecca Maier to discuss what you’re interested in doing.
We have opportunities available on our construction site including landscaping and painting. If you’re interested in being notified prior to this aspect of construction, please send your name, email address and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org.