Selection Process and Criteria
Applicant Selection Criteria
Currently, and for the past year, either live or work in Hunterdon, Somerset, or one of the adjacent counties (Bucks (PA), Mercer, Middlesex, Morris, Union, and Warren). We encourage any income-eligible household to apply, but residents and people working in Hunterdon, Middlesex and Somerset Counties will be given preference over residents of other counties.
Have a stable source of income and be able to afford payment of mortgage, utilities, taxes, homeowners’ insurance, and expenses associated with maintaining a home.
Be willing to partner with RVHFH by contributing 500 hours (for a two adult household) and 250 hours (for a single adult household) of time in support of the construction of the home.
Provide proof of US citizenship or legal permanent residency for all family members.
Be out of bankruptcy for at least one year.
Be out of foreclosure proceedings for at least two years.
Have gross annual household income (before taxes) that is greater than a minimum of* $48,300 (for a 3-bedroom house) and $55,500 (for a 4-bedroom house) and less than the maximum as specified in the accompanying table:
To qualify for a future Habitat project, your family income must be between these minimum and maximum levels, based on the number of people in the family:
|Family size||Gross Maximum Income**|
* Minimum income level is necessary to ensure RVHFH homeowners have enough income to meet expected financial obligations and meet the certification requirements of funding sources for affordable homes
** Income maximums are 2019 HUD guidelines for housing region
Applicant selection Process
- All potential applicants must attend a Homeowner Orientation Meeting. These meetings are held at the beginning of each building project selection period, and include information about RVHFH, the particular project and the application process and deadlines. Applications are available at these meetings.
- The applicants must submit the application with all required documentation by the due date announced at the Homeowner Orientation Meeting.
- The Homeowner Selection Committee reviews the application, calculates your income, and reviews all financial information, including a credit report.
- If an applicant qualifies financially, then a home visit is conducted. The need for housing and the applicant’s willingness to partner are discussed at this visit.
- For all applicants that meet the criteria, as determined by the Homeowner Selection Committee, a criminal background, sex offender and OFAC check are conducted on all household members aged 16 and older.
- Applicants that do not present any issues in those areas are then presented to the Board of Directors. If approved by the Board, they are entered into a lottery for the available house(s).
NOTICE: Due to the nature of Habitat’s program requirements, we cannot help families in emergency situations.
For immediate housing assistance, call 2-1-1 or visit http://www.nj211.org to connect to services through the NJ 2-1-1 Partnership.
In Somerset, you can also contact: SHIP (Samaritan Homeless Interim Program) 908-393-9545.
In Hunterdon, you can contact Hunterdon Helpline, at 908-782-4357 or 1-800-272-4630; or Family Promise at 908-782-2490.
Non-Discrimination Statement: We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. Policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are not barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status or national origin.