Property acquisition is the greatest challenge Raritan Valley Habitat for Humanity faces. Property prices in our local area are very high. Without land, we cannot continue to bring people together to build affordable homes for those in need.
A charitable gift of land or an existing home enables us to continue helping families in need. It provides you, the donor, with an opportunity for tax savings. A gift of real estate owned for more than one year entitles you to a charitable deduction for the total market value when you donate the property. Additionally, if the real estate has appreciated, you avoid a capital gains tax on the appreciation.
Raritan Valley Habitat for Humanity also welcomes offers from property owners seeking to sell real estate at a substantial discount. Below is our criteria for property acquisition:
- Property is located in Somerset or Hunterdon Counties.
- Manageable topographical issues (e.g., wetlands, slope, trees).
- Availability of public sewer, water, and utilities.
- Proximity to public transportation is preferable.
- Minimal environmental concerns.